nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent input

From: Brad Fleming <bdfleming () kanren net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:59:09 -0500

On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Stephen Kratzer wrote:

The biggest issue we have with them is that they don't allow
deaggregation. If you've been allocated a prefix of length yy, they'll accept
only x.x.x.x/yy, not x.x.x.x/yy le 24. Yes, sometimes deaggregation is
necessary or desirable even if only temporarily.

In our peering session with Cogent, we requested several /16 le /24 prefixes configured and received no pushback or problems. We are using their 1Gbps service so I'm not sure if that buys us additional leeway with requests like this or not. We've been customers for nearly two full years and intend to continue for at least a third.

-brad fleming