nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wireless bridge

From: Matthew Walster <matthew () walster org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 17:03:16 +0100

2009/6/19 Peter Boone <NANOG () aquillar com>

- Get off the 2.4 GHz range. Move up to 5. As for licensed vs. unlicensed,
I'm getting mixed input. I'm fairly certain that if the price is right and
the frequency is 5GHz+, it won't be a factor. Also, I'll be very glad to
separate the bridge from the client access points so that allows for more
options. Every solution at this range can easily do 20+ Mbps so throughput
is no longer a factor.

It looks like your fresnel zone is 14ft (according to a previous poster) and
you're currently using relatively low power radio waves.

Have you considered using something like Free Space Optics? For under $100,
you can build yourself a couple of RONJAs[1] and test out what the signal is
going to be like - that runs at 10Mbit, and can stay in place as a backup
once you then buy a FSO device from a proper manufacturer (MRV make some
nice ones) and you're looking at 100Mbit for some money, 1000Mbit for quite
a lot of money and 10000Mbit for "it would have been cheaper to lay fiber".

I'd heartily recommend giving infra-red FSO a go, no Fresnel zone and it's
essentially bridged ethernet - no funky routing required, though I would
still set up OSPF or similar with it, to fail back to a slower link such as
the RONJA.

Matthew Walster

[1] http://ronja.twibright.com/