nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using twitter as an outage notification

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:04:10 +0100

In article <4A50C401.9070307 () gmail com>, JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com> writes

Unfortunately, the number of students polling the website for news means it can't cope with the traffic.

Really? Um, wow. How big is this school? Is the webserver on an ISDN line?

It appears to be at a co-location centre in a distant city. I expect it's provided as part of a package by one of the $5 domain hosting companies. The bandwidth limiting is more likely a quota than a lack of connectivity.

I don't believe they can justify paying more for better web hosting, just to manage this once-a-year half hour event.

This is a case where it makes *perfect* sense to offload emergency notifications to another, larger system such as twitter,

That's my current view, too.

you can use posterus

It's going to be hard enough getting them to be comfortable with Twitter.
--
Roland Perry