nanog mailing list archives

Re: "IP networks will feel traffic pain in 2009" (C|Net & Cisco)

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:37:34 -0500

On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:31 PM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

"Cisco VNI projections indicate that IP traffic will increase at a combined annual growth rate (CAGR) of 46 percent from 2007 to 2012, nearly doubling every two years. This will result in an annual bandwidth demand on the world's IP networks of approximately 522 exabytes2, or more than half a
zettabyte."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10145480-62.html

duh...

from a much earlier thread...

that lesson is, the installed base is meaningless, and how we did it
before is meaningless, all that matters is getting growth right.

      Mike O'dell...  Mo's Law.  1994

I believe the quote is What installed base?

/vijay

        to play devils advocate, how much impact does caching have
        on the total traffic flow anyway?

Less and less would be my estimate. How much video is cached ? How much P2P is cached ?

Regards
Marshall

--bill