nanog mailing list archives

Re: 97.128.0.0/9 allocation to verizon wireless

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 16:58:17 -0500

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 22:45:51 +0100
Eliot Lear <lear () cisco com> wrote:

On 2/8/09 5:32 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
Lastly, you've assumed that only a "smart phone" (not that the term
is well defined) needs an IP address.  I believe this is wrong.
There are plenty of simpler phones (e.g. not a PDA, touch screen,
read your e-mail thing) that can use cellular data to WEP browse,
or to fetch things like ring tones.  They use an IP on the network.

The term is ill defined, but the general connotation is that they
will be supplanting dumb phones.  So say what you will,phones with IP
addresses is likely to increase as a percentage of the installed
base. The only thing offsetting that is the indication that the U.S.
is saturating on total # of cell phones, which is what that article
says.

Of course, my iPhone is currently showing an IP address in 10/8, and
though my EVDO card shows a global address in 70.198/16, I can't ssh to
it -- a TCP traceroute appears to be blocked at the border of Verizon
Wireless' network.  But hey, at least I can ping it.  (Confirmed by
tcpdump on my laptop: the pings are not being spoofed by a border
router.)