nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo and their mail filters..

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:47:18 +0000 (GMT)

AOL sends its spam button feedback in industry standard ARF format. It
took me about 20 minutes to write a perl script that picks out the
relevant bits from AOL and Hotmail feedback messages and sends unsub
commands to my list manager.

Yes, but you're using qmail and ezmlm which send separate copies of the
message to each recipient, with the recipient's address embedded in the
return path.

Actually I'm using majordomo2, but you're right, it does single deliveries which helps do

If, like us, you have a setup that's optimised to de-duplicate multi-recipient messages, AOL's redaction makes their ARF messages mosly useless for anything but rough detection (or confirmation) of a compromise.

Sounds like it might be time to reconsider your mailing list config. A decade ago, bandwidth was really expensive and it made sense to try to load up lots of recipients per delivery. These days it's essentially free, and any saving in bandwidth is swamped by the extra manual effort of having to do bounce management by hand.

R's,
John