nanog mailing list archives

Re: Article on spammers and their infrastructure

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:06:18 -0800

One might say the same about the IETF, which Randy likes to lampoon. Not sure how it comes up in this context, as (as Randy loves to remind us) while many operators attend, it is not first-and-foremost an operational community. As to ICANN, I think Rich may be talking about the registries and registrars for their DNS names, but not the agency that coordinates them. At most, ICANN can give them suggestions. And as for addresses, they get them from their local ISPs.

What ICANN and many of the registries have in fact done is make an issue of domain name "tasting", which is a means by which some forms of abusers change names rapidly to evade filters. That is a matter of having the fox guard the henhouse, however; the registries make money on names being sold, and "tasting" is a means of making a lot of sales. So while some have good efforts there, not all are motivated to fight abuse.

As to addresses, we can point to at least one entire ISP shut down as most of the traffic coming from it was abusive. But for ISPs, it becomes at least in part a matter of the amount of trouble they cause their immediate neighbors. If they can link to other ISPs, who they sell their services too is somewhat opaque to the wider world. And since the abusers are not above "owning" systems, every network has some subset of its subscribers to think about.

I agree with your sentiment, Rich, and empathize with your frustration. Writing comments in blogs doesn't get the hard work of tools and policy done, though. You have to take the next step.