nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T SMTP Admin contact?

From: Chris Owen <owenc () hubris net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 00:53:26 -0600

On Dec 3, 2009, at 12:42 AM, John Levine wrote:

I also agree that any domain with live users (as opposed to mail
cannons sending ads or transaction confirmations) is likely to
experience pain with -all from all the overenthusiastic little MTAs
whose managers imagine that "stopping forgery" will lessen their spam
load rather than losing mail from roaming users.

Again I guess I don't understand.   How are these MTA managers being "overenthusiastic"?

Publishing a SPF (with -all) is essentially me requesting that they reject any mail from my domain not coming from one
of the approved hosts.   I'm the one making the decision to ask them to bounce such mail.   Seems to me they are only
being responsible in actually enforcing a policy that I set for the domain.

Chris

Chris Owen         - Garden City (620) 275-1900 -  Lottery (noun):
President          - Wichita     (316) 858-3000 -    A stupidity tax
Hubris Communications Inc      www.hubris.net