nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T SMTP Admin contact?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 22:52:22 -0500

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:38:54 CST, Chris Owen said:
On Dec 2, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

Because SenderID and SPF have no anti-spam value, and almost no
anti-forgery value.  Not that this stops a *lot* of people who've drunk
the kool-aid from trying to use them anyway,

OK, I'll bite--How exactly do you go about forging email from my domain
name if the host receiving it is checking SPF?

It only stops forgery if the SPF record has a -all in it (as hubris.net does).
However, a lot of domains (mine included) have a ~all instead.

(And before anybody asks, yes ~all is what we want, and no you can't ask us
to try -all instead, unless we're allowed to send you all the helpdesk calls
about misconfigured migratory laptops".. ;)