nanog mailing list archives

Re: ip-precedence for management traffic

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:15:24 -0800

Randy Bush wrote:
Totally out of the box, but here goes: why don't we run the entire
Internet management plane "out of band"

tread caefully.  we have experienced (and some continue to experience)
non-linear expansion of management, control, and stability problems when
layers are non-congruent.

Isn't this just a suggestion to more or less faithfully reproduce the control and bearer planes of the TDM network also? I'd think that this fate sharing aspect of the internet model is a feature rather than a bug. That is, putting everything on the same wire forces you to deal with QoS or get the predictable results. That and building out
separate and unequal networks pretty much sucks?

Mike