nanog mailing list archives

Re: news from Google

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:58:31 -1000

Peter Beckman wrote:
 I'm shocked that really smart people like Asa Dotzler are shocked by what
 Eric Schmidt said, what I assumed was simply common knowledge - that there
 is no real privacy on the internet.

"On the Sprint 3G network... If [the handset uses] the [WAP] Media Access Gateway, we have the URL history for 24 months ... We don't store it because law enforcement asks us to store it, we store it because when we launched 3G in 2001 or so, we thought we were going to bill by the megabyte ... but ultimately, that's why we store the data ... It's because marketing wants to rifle through the data."

http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/cell-phone-subterfuge-produces-nation-270-million-spies-090