nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arrogant RBL list maintainers

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:13:32 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Michael Holstein wrote:

Their initial email said :

[snip]
Trend Micro Notification: 137.148.0.0/16 added to DUL
[snip]

That's just lazy/sloppy. A quick survey of your /16 suggests that the majority of it has PTRs in the format of csu-137-148-36-160.csuohio.edu, which looks like generic rDNS...but assuming that a university has a /16 of dynamic space is just dumb...and in that quick survey of your /16, there are obvious pockets of non-generic rDNS.

To work with us, please generate the following three lists:

1) TOTAL ALLOCATED SPACE  in CIDR format
    Please include all information for the space you announce.
    The total of Static and Dynamic space must equal the
    Total Allocated Space.
2) DYNAMIC SPACE LIST - in CIDR format
3) STATIC SPACE LIST - in CIDR Format
[snip]

Which was, of course, impossible .. since trunking a VLAN across the
core just to have all the printers in the same /22 would be silly.

Maybe you misunderstood them? What's trunking a VLAN across the core for a printers subnet have to do with anything? They were asking you to tell them which of your subnets are dynamic and which are static, presumably so they could remove your /16 and list just the bits of it that really are dynamic or otherwise appropriate for their list.

Also we don't see the IP address as static as we see the generic naming convention of *csuohio.edu* as dynamic and the WHOIS information doesn't indicate that the space is static. [snip]

It really sounds like you were dealing with an idiot and would have done well to see if there was any other individual at Trend/MAPS with maintenance access to their DUL.

Seriously .. we're a college campus, not a colo. Org-Abuse roles is defined (and valid) and real people read the RFC2142 required addresses. What more do these people want?

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |