nanog mailing list archives

Re: SPF Configurations

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:19:16 -0500

3. Spammers abusing your webmail and/or remote message submission service
using phished credentials.

I'll admit .. this has happened a few times too. Usually we see the
incoming phish attempt and configure an outbound block for RE: (same
subject) and it never fails .. we catch at least one person that
responds. We've seriously considered sending our own phishing emails
with a link that automatically disables anyone's account if they click it.

If your incoming spam blocks are effective then forwarding shouldn't be
too much of a problem.

Never-ending game of cat & mouse. Our volume is 1.5-2m msg/day, and I'd
say we catch ~95% of it .. but when a batch gets through and a third of
our students have mail forwarded to Yahoo, from Yahoo's point-of-view,
they just got 10,000 spam from our IPs.

For on-campus bots, block port 25 and ensure your MX servers can't be used
as outgoing relays

We do that, as well as run daily reports on outbound ACL denies to see
who's been compromised (or being naughty on purpose).

 (i.e. put your outgoing relay service on a separate
address). If you are lucky your colleagues chose a really obscure name
(not mail.* or smtp.* etc.)

They did.

To protect against phished accounts, apply rate-limits to outgoing email.
If you have good on-campus security hygeine then you can be much less
strict about the limits for on-campus connections.

Anyone know how to do this in Domino off-hand? (without sending IBM a
fat check) .. if so, I'd love to hear about it so I can tell our Lotus
admins.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University