nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nipper and Cisco configuration results

From: Lee <ler762 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:31:54 -0400

On 4/2/09, Subba Rao <castellan2004-nsm () yahoo com> wrote:
I am using Nipper for verifying my Cisco configuration.  Nipper is finding
the "rlogin" service that is not in the configuration.  I have searched the
access lists and do not see it anywhere.  The explanation by Nipper about
this finding, "....Telnet protocol implemented by this service...." is
confusing.  Here is the Nipper's output:
  <..snip ..>
Can someone explain why Nipper is saying "Rlogin is enabled" when I do not
see it in the configuration file?  Is there something else that I need to be
looking at?

I played with it a bit - removing the "transport input telnet" on a
vty line got me the rlogin service is enabled.  Add it back & nipper
says it's disabled...

Do you have a "transport input telnet" on each vty?  If not, does
adding it fix the nipper report?

Regards,
Lee