nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outside plant protection, fiber cuts, interwebz down oh noes!

From: "Robert Glover" <robertg () garlic com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:03:58 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ravi Pina" <ravi () cow org>
To: "Charles Wyble" <charles () thewybles com>
Cc: <nanog () nanog org>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: Outside plant protection, fiber cuts, interwebz down oh noes!

2) Why didn't an alarm go off that someone had entered the area? It was
after business hours, presumably not in response to a trouble ticket,
and as such a highly suspicious action. Does it make sense for these
access portals to have some sort of alarm? I mean there is fiber running
through and as such it could carry the signaling. Would this be a
massive cost addition during construction?

I can comment on this, I live three blocks from the scene of the cut.

The manholes themselves sit along railroad tracks and an overpass. At 2am, it's a very dark area, and there is very little traffic at that time. It would be an ideal area to perform this type of vandalism.

On a side note, when I was passing the area this morning at around 10am PDT, there were two fiber-trailers working in two separate manholes.

My company (AS4307) fell off the map from about 2am until roughly 10:42pm when one of our upstreams (AS20115) finally came back. Our primary (AS174) came back about 11:30pm. Of course during the majority of the outage, we also had no land-lines or cell-phones, so were effectively isolated.

Bobby Glover
Director of Information Services
South Valley Internet