nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outside plant protection, fiber cuts, interwebz down oh noes!

From: Andy Ringsmuth <andyring () inebraska com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:51:42 -0500

On Apr 10, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Daryl G. Jurbala wrote:

3) From what I understand it's not trivial to raise a manhole cover. Most likely can't be done by one person. Can they be locked? Or were the carriers simply relying on obscurity/barrier to entry?

Your understanding is incorrect. I'm an average sized guy and I can pull a manhole cover with one hand on the right tool. It might take 2 hands if it hasn't been opened recently and has lots of pebbles and dirt jammed in around it. It's like everything else: if you know how to do it, and you have the right tool, it's simple.

Agreed. Manhole covers are very simple to remove. I don't even need any tools. I've removed countless manhole covers to retrieve balls, frisbees, etc., with nothing more than my bare hands. It's a pretty trivial task.

Think about it. All anyone would need to do is pull up to the manhole, set a few orange cones around it, put on an orange vest and a hard hat, and crawl on in with your wire cutters and bolt cutter. Guaranteed NO ONE will even question it.

-Andy