nanog mailing list archives

Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora'sBox

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:23:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Joe Greco wrote:
I see usefulness in having scopes that are local (city/village/etc),
state, country, and global.  There's no reason that you couldn't start
out local, and as you grew, get a state level domain (martyspizza.wi.us),
and if you went national (martyspizza.us), etc.  In many (most!) cases,
businesses do not make significant growth in a rapid fashion.

  The selfish will abuse the lack of RFC1480 management and go straight to
  martyspizza.us, even though they have one store, because it's available at
  the time.

That's probably a reasonable reason to do a modest amount of research on
registrants.  Of course, the idea that a registrar has any duty other than
to take money and "make it so" is heretical, I know.

Actually, that has to do with what I was talking about in continuing to
develop a reasonable system.  Quite frankly, if I was in that school
district, I see no reason why my computer couldn't be aware of that
domain, and actually have "http://john-muir"; or some similar mechanism
actually work.  The ideal is probably more complex in implementation,
but does not need to be more complex in use.

  Does the DNS provider or ISP decide that?  Or are you just referring to a
  bookmarking feature in your browser?  Which then makes moot any RFC1480
  friendly URL.  Namespaces in DNS that are globally recognized are
  different than your example above.

I would actually like to have seen a continued evolution of DNS towards
something slightly more useful.  Implementation as a bookmark in a browser
would not make any sense; the Internet is not just the World Wide Web.
The search feature within a resolver is one reasonable starting point for
considering how you might go about this sort of thing, but I expect that
the solution might not really resemble anything currently existing.

I would agree that we don't need more TLD's.  But the namespace, as it
exists, is messy, and it's nasty to expect that people will always have
to use a browser and a search engine to find their destination's domain
name.

  Nobody can or will cleanup the existing namespaces.  New TLDs will
  continue to make them more messy.  More court battles over new TLDs will
  come up.  The wealthy will get their own TLDs (I can't afford .beckman,
  but I'm sure Beckman Instruments can, who already own beckman.com, and
  I'll just be screwed again), and small guys will not.

  Search engines and browser tools will render the value of domain names
  to approaching zero, .com will remain the namespace of choice, and that
  new TLDs will be for the wealthy i.e. http://google/ and http://coke/ and
  there will be more court battles for those trademarks.

It may go that way, but should we let it do so without comment?

... JG