nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 02:42:07 +0200

* Jeroen Massar:

Some people are going to get very rich over this. I hope that they
drown in the money just as the Internet will drown in all the crap
TLD's, not even thinking of all the nice security issues which come
along (home, mycomputer and .exe etc anyone ? :)

.exe abd .com are equivalent in this regard.  Oops.

Thank you people doing all the ICANN politics for destroying the
Internet.

I don't really see how this is substantially different from .me, .mobi,
.cat or .eu.  Basically, selling TLDs means that ICANN has some sort of
implied non-technical obligation of keeping them relatively scarce,
which is currently lacking AFAICT.