nanog mailing list archives

Re: .255 addresses still not usable after all these years?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 05:07:15 +0000

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:08:47PM -0400, David Hubbard wrote:
I remember back in the day of old hardware and operating
systems we'd intentionally avoid using .255 IP addresses
for anything even when the netmask on our side would have
made it fine, so I just thought I'd try it out for kicks
today.  From two of four ISP's it worked fine, from Verizon
FIOS and Road Runner commercial, it didn't.  So I guess
that old problem still lingers?

David

        well... .0 and .255 are still special in -some- contexts.
        they still form the all-zeros and all-ones broadcast addresses
        for the defined block... so:

        192.168.16.0/23

        192.168.16.0/32 is unusable
        192.168.16.255/32 is useable
        192.168.17.0/32 is useable
        192.168.17.255/32 is unuseable.

        crapy CPE, vendor instruction, poor software all contribute
        to VLSM being poorly understood and these "gotchas" still
        around - years - later.

        my recommendation... place your caching nameservers and webservers on
        these addresses... if you want to force the issue. :)

--bill