nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 gluelessness

From: "Christopher Morrow" <christopher.morrow () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:39:57 -0500

On Jan 22, 2008 2:11 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com> wrote:

I'm quite unhappy about the trend to put everything in their own
blocks that happen to be the longest possible prefixes. This means
that one oversight in prefix length filtering can take out huge
numbers of important nameservers.

and you have a giant confluence of number resource management and
operational practices here  as well.

We really need as much diversity as we can get for this kind of stuff.
There is no one single best practice for any of this.

For roots? TLD? ccTLD? (is there a potential difference between the
TLD types?)  Is diversity in numbers of networks and numbers of
locations per entity good enough? (.iq served out of US, Iraq, AMS on
3 different netblocks by 3 different operators ideally serviced by a
central controlling gov't entity... wait .iq changed... use .co as the
example)

Is, for lack of a quicker example: .iq 'good' or could they improve by
 shifting their NS hosts to blocks outside the /16 194.117.0.0/16? or
does it matter at all because they have each announced as a /24 with
no covering route?? (so if someone fudged a /24 max prefix length
filter to /23 they'd be broken either way?)

Some of this is covered in rfc2182 anyway, right?

-Chris