nanog mailing list archives

Re: FW: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:41:46 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:43:12 -0500
"William Herrin" <herrin-nanog () dirtside com> wrote:
On Jan 14, 2008 5:25 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:
So users who rarely use their connection are more profitable to the ISP.

The fat man isn't a welcome sight to the owner of the AYCE buffet.

Joe,

The fat man is quite welcome at the buffet, especially if he brings
friends and tips well.

But the fat man isn't allowed to take up residence in the restaurant
and continously eat - he's only allowed to be there in bursts, like we
used to be able to assume people would use networks they're connected
to. "Left running" P2P is the fat man never leaving and never stopping
eating.

Time to stop selling the "always on" connections, then, I guess, because
it is "always on" - not P2P - which is the fat man never leaving.  P2P
is merely the fat man eating a lot while he's there.

... JG