nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255 host addresses in supernets.

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:00:45 -0500

On Jan 8, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Joshman at joshman dot com wrote:

As a general rule, is it best practice to assign x.x.x.0 and x.x.x. 255 as host addresses on /23 and larger? I realize that technically they are valid addresses, but does anyone assign a node or server which is a member of a /22 with a x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255? Is it just a manner of preference on whether or not to use them, or are there functional reasons you shouldn't; either with rfc 1918 addresses or public addresses.

I like to use them for critical service machines, since many versions of Windows will not send packets to them, so they are protected from most (but not all!) botnets.

--
TTFN,
patrick