nanog mailing list archives

Re: YouTube IP Hijacking

From: Arnd Vehling <av () nethead de>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:01:28 +0100

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:43:10AM +0100,
 Arnd Vehling <av () nethead de> wrote
 a message of 12 lines which said:

Every ISP requesting an ASN from one of the LIR's should be required
to make a test covering the neccessary skillsets.

Giving the rapid turnover of people in this industry, I'm not sure it
would help. Two months after the test, may be all the clueful people
will be gone.

How about an ISP running BGB is required to have a number of "LIR
certified" BGP people and is otherwise not allowed to peer *grin*

And what about the organizations which rely on external consultancy?
Should it be forbidden?

No, the consultants can be "LIR certified" too. I just dont see why
people need to have a damn license for "lots of stuff" but noone cares
if the people running border routers have the neccessary qualifications.
It just doesnt make sense and i am pretty sure that this _will_ change.

-- Arnd