nanog mailing list archives

RE: Blackholes and IXs and Completing the Attack.

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:39:22 -0800

You could achieve the exact same result simply by not advertising the
network to your peers, or by advertising a bogus route (prefixing a
known bogon AS for the addresses you want null-routed). I realize you
would have to subnet/deaggregate your netblocks, and therefore could
wind up with a prefix-length issue for peers who won't accept routes
longer than a certain mask, in some cases, but if you are already being
DDOSed, this should represent SOME improvement.

If you're trying to do it on a /32 basis, I doubt you'd find too many
border router operators interested in accepting a route that small, but
I may be wrong.

The bigger issue with all these approaches is that they run afoul of a
patent applied for by AT&T:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u
=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=200
60031575&OS=20060031575&RS=20060031575

USPTO App Number 20060031575