nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 02:58:08 -0500

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:56:26PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:42:02 -0000
"Rod Beck" <Rod.Beck () hiberniaatlantic com> wrote:
Well, when you have all these cables running through narrow straits
or converging to the same stretch of beach, it does not strike me as
at all extraordinary.

But they aren't near each other.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/business/worldbusiness/31cable.html
says that the first two cuts were in the Mediterranean, near Marseille
and Alexandria; the third was in the Persian Gulf, near Dubai
(http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Internet-Outages.html).

beings as i live in dubai, i can also add that over the last two days there
have been some quite strong winds blowing.  which i supposed could be a factor
in a ship dragging its anchor across a fiber path.

--
Jim Mercer        jim () reptiles org        +971 55 410-5633
"I'm Prime Minister of Canada, I live here and I'm going to take a leak."