nanog mailing list archives

Re: uTorrent, IPv6

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:42:12 +1200

On 19/08/2008, at 6:34 PM, Nathan Ward wrote:

On 19/08/2008, at 6:28 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Nathan Ward wrote:

uTorrent actively enables IPv6 on XP SP2 and Vista machines in the install process (by default, it can be turned off). IPv6 is turned on, on lots of PCs.

We looked into this, and IPv6 is not mentioned in the install process, and it's not selected by default as far as we can see. There is a button in Preferences->general that says "install IPv6/ Teredo", so yes, it supports it but it's not on by default, at least not here.

Oh? I looked in to this in a beta, and it was on by default.
I'll have another look.

Yep, you're right, as I say, that's changed from a previous beta I think.

Anyway, it'll still use Teredo/6to4/native IPv6 if it's already enabled - Vista has these enabled by default.

My guess would be that a large percentage of uTorrent users are Vista users.

--
Nathan Ward