nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:08:07 -0400

Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> writes:

For unmanaged and semi-managed routers, I'd suggest strict out-bound
packet controls (i.e. be conservative in what you send) because you
already need to make operational updates when they change.  But
consider using inbound controls that require less extensive
recurring maintenance, e.g. only filtering martians (i.e. 0/8,
127/8, 255.255.255.255/32, etc) instead of updating bogons
(i.e. changing reserved and unallocated) every few months.

I think we're in violent agreement here.

-r