nanog mailing list archives

Re: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:22:10 -0700

Step 1 : Enforce IRR for customers *now*.

Step 2 : Enforce trusted replacement for IRR when available

Step 3 : Profit

Not progressing to step 1 today because you think IRR isn't the best
solution is like not deploying IPv6 because you sat on your arse not
deploying it all these years and justify yourself by denouncing the
protocol on every mailing list and IRC channel at every available
opportunity.

[ sorry for preaching.  i know you are a fellow choir member ]

for me it separates in to two things

  o what i do with my routers today.  as you know, i have been pushing
    the irr and programmatic configuration since the mid '90s.  that is
    your step 1.

    we have known how to do this for a decade.  we don't need a bunch of
    talk.  we need to shut up and hack.

  o what i do with my time.  i don't have enough time to spend on both
    hacks and rigor, so i concentrate on the design and implementation
    of long-term formal and rigorous solutions, to which you allude in
    step 2.

randy