nanog mailing list archives

RE: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space bymistake

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:13:50 +0100

I don't think the IRR is so much a hack (it's a tool), but
we're lacking the process and infrastructure to vet/validate
that a given ASN is *authorized* to originate a prefix, and
all of the policy bits (which the IRR has if you use it)
associated with which ASNs should propagate the prefix, etc...

We're lacking the authority and delegation model that DNS
has, I think?

ARIN holds the top of that authority and delegation hierarchy
because they give out the ASnums and IP address blocks. They
also operate a suggestion box here:
<http://www.arin.net/acsp/index.html>
click the yellow button that says "Submit a Suggestion".
There is a formal evaluation process behind that suggestion
box so if there is one or more specific actions that you
believe ARIN should take, then file a suggestion for each
separate action that you want them to do.

To everybody on the list, please do consider making formal
suggestions to ARIN.

--Michael Dillon