nanog mailing list archives

Re: was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:24:27 -0400

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 03:55:13PM -0400, Patrick Darden wrote:
Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
You really think Michael is malicious in his intent?
You've spent a whole lot of time paying now attention around here,
haven't you?

I think Michael tends to get confrontational.  As, apparently, do you.

Sure.  And he's not always right either; none of us are.

But he gave cogent arguments to support his point, and you gave us
coke machines -- worse, *accused him*, backhandedly, of leaving space
for coke machines.  See below.

I'm on a lot of the same lists Michael is on.  Have been since 1997.  I
have a lot of respect for him, with reservations gathered from
experience.  He is sharp, and he has a sharp tongue.

None of which amounts to "wants to hurt people", which is what you
accused him of.

No, cute soundbites don't make you an expert.

But in this case, Dillon's right, and you're wrong: your attempt to
trivialize the specific issue on point (allocation within the 1918
space internal to a company network) by implying that the only reasons
to do it the way he suggests amount to "leaving space for soda
machines" only proves in public that you don't know what you're talking
about.

No, you are wrong.  Your attempt to trivialize what I have to say by
calling it cute only proves that you don't know what you are talking
about.  Bad logic, isn't it?  Statement that you are wrong, then
"proving it" with nonsense addressing someone's character without
addressing the point....

And yet I see tha tyou don't yourself bother to try to prove your
argument; you merely continue to go after Michael and I on peripheral
points.  No pun intended.

Your mislabelling my tongue-in-cheek ongoing obsession with soda
machines as Trivializing only proves you have no sense of humor.  I
remember when some kids at MIT first put their dorm's soda machine on
the internet.  Man that was cool.  You could ping it and find out how
many cokes were left, and their temperature....

Sure.  Online coke machines are just about as cool as coffee-pot
webcams.

But they're orthogonal to the discussion that was at hand, and your
returning to that well in the middle of a serious discussion suggests
that you, yourself, are not all that serious.

Once is tongue in cheek.

Twice or three times is dilettante.

As randy would put it, I encourage my competitors to hire you to
architect their WANs.

Thank you.  Your bile does you credit.

I don't know, Patrick; you seem to be the one emotionalizing the
argument.

I'm out of this one though; we are certainly out of AUP.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra () baylink com

             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
               -- (Josef Stalin)