nanog mailing list archives

Re: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?

From: John Curran <jcurran () mail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:18:07 -0400

At 4:47 PM -0400 9/17/07, Martin Hannigan wrote:
On 9/17/07, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com> wrote:
On 17-sep-2007, at 19:06, Martin Hannigan wrote:

Getting back to my original discussion with Barrett, what should we do
about naming? I initially though that segregating v6 in a subdomain
was a good idea, but if this is truly a migration, v4 should be the
interface segregated.

For debugging purposes, it's always good to have
blah.ipvX.example.com, but the real question is: do you feel
comfortable adding AAAA records to your production domain names?
Although I've been running that way for years and I've had only one
or two complaints during that time, I can see how someone could be
worried about reduced performance over IPv6 (it's still slower than
IPv4 a lot of the time because of tunnel detours etc) or even
timeouts when advertised IPv6 connectivity doesn't work for someone,
such as a Vista user with a public IPv4 address behind a firewall
that blocks protocol 41.

Then again, I'm guessing that few people type www.ipv6.google.com
rather than www.google.com. And with stuff like mail, where you set
up the server names once and forget about it, it's even worse.

I see. There isn't really an answer. :-) That's what I am getting at.
Not to suggest that this is your responsibility, it's not - it's ours.

For now, I'm going to try the unique A/AAAA and segregate the answers
by protocol and sub domain the v4 traffic since it's a migration "to"
v6.

-M<