nanog mailing list archives

Re: How Not to Multihome

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:53:45 -0400

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:32:50 EDT, "Patrick W. Gilmore" said:
On Oct 8, 2007, at 6:45 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
I never said it was.  My experience, both in my previous life as
the operator of a regional ISP and since then in other capacities
is that having disjoint origins for a chunk of some provider's
address space is basically asking for trouble, and it's the kind of
trouble that may ony pop up when something breaks.

I'm afraid your experience is not the same as many, many people.

There are currently ~1500 prefixes with inconsistent origin AS.
These are trivially identifiable:

   <http://www.cymru.com/BGP/incon_asn_list.html>

Some of them are obvious mistakes (I doubt HKSuper is supposed to
originate 4/8).  But many of them are not, and the Internet works
just fine.

And as Justin said, some sizable fraction of those 1500 prefixes are
quite possibly *appearing* to Work Just Fine currently, but if something
breaks, that will be 1500 NOC monkeys facing some difficult-to-debug
routing issues....