nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:01:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 29 May 2007, John Curran wrote:

ISP's are going to have to actually *lead* the transition
to IPv6 both in terms of infrastructure and setting
customer expectations.

and this means getting a good story in front of bean-counters about
expending opex/capex to do this transition work. Today the simplest answer
is: "if we expend Z dollars on new equipment, and A dollars on IT work we
will be able to capture X number of users for Y new service" or some
version of that story.

Solving that has turned out to be difficult (as is shown by the global
lack of meaningful deployment)

p.s.  It's not the classic chicken/egg situation;
       it's much simpler:  Look up and see the IPv4
       Internet - that's the egg, it's first, and it's falling.
       We have to recognize that fact and gentle catch
       it, or there just won't be any chicken.

ok...