nanog mailing list archives

Re: Interesting new dns failures

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:23:42 -0400

On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:08:44 PDT, Scott Weeks said:
--------------johnl () iecc com wrote:--------------------
the bits of governments that deal with online crime, spam, etc.,
I can report that pretty much all of the countries that matter
realize there's a problem, and a lot of them have passed or will
pass laws whether we like it or not.  So it behooves us to engage
them and help them pass better rather than worse laws.

Which countries are "pretty much all of the countries that matter"?  Do you
have a list or is this just 'something you're sure of'?

A lot of the more nefarious uses of the DNS are there precisely because the
actual country *doesn't* matter, and as a result the TLD is run by somebody
who is asleep at the wheel or worse.  For instance, there appears to be a
'*.cm' wildcard in place, and several "flag of convenience" TLDs with a high
ratio of users that aren't actually associated with the country...