nanog mailing list archives

Re: RTT from NY to New Delhi?

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 10:59:24 -0400

On May 16, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:

On Wed, May 16, 2007 2:20 pm, Joe Maimon wrote:

What should I expect?

I am seeing ~350 from a vendor provided mpls cloud to a site in

Sukhrali Chowk, Gurgaon, Haryana, India

Seems not-unreasonable.  I remember getting about 150ms or 250ms from
London to Gurgaon depending on whether we were on the straight-across
cable or the round-the-bottom cable.  (Sorry, both my geography and my
cable-names are hazy).

The best recent data I have is from Bangalore to Tyco Road in Virginia through VSNL and Cogent.

Here is a sample (this goes through San Jose) :

Mon Mar  5 05:26:21 EST 2007
from Bangalore through the VSNL network
--- 63.105.122.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 285.495/319.649/395.330/38.576 ms

370 ms seems a little high but not unreasonable.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

Going east from NY, you'd add 70 or 80ms to that - and a quick look
suggests routes going west instead. (Test from home to .IN NS goes London
-> NY -> West Coast -> Singtel -> India, for ~370ms)

It's starting to head a bit towards walkie-talkie mode for VoIP, but not
too bad other than that...

Regards,
Tim.