nanog mailing list archives

Re: RTT from NY to New Delhi?

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:09:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Eric Gauthier wrote:

Heya,

What should I expect?

I am seeing ~350 from a vendor provided mpls cloud to a site in

Sukhrali Chowk, Gurgaon, Haryana, India

We just did a video conference between Boston and New Delhi, via NYC, and
we were seeing around 250ms.  However, VSNL was QoS'ing our traffic across
their backbone, so I'd expect normal traffic to take a bit longer.  When
we originally investigated this, we were expecting to see around 300ms to
350ms.

hrm, qos doesn't necessarily mean longer RTT, it means preference in
(tight/busy/hot) paths, right? So... if VNSL's network along your path is
oc-48 with only 1mbps of traffic on it and you are taking only 1mbps more
... probably there isn't any change, yes? If it's a 1mbps path and you are
taking 1mbps then... other folks get starved out and potentially get
longer RTT.

(just trying to clarify the QOS boogie-man)