nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:02:55 +1000 (EST)

In article <4685E472.4050200 () satchell net> you write:
John Curran wrote:
Steve -

    For the first end site that has to connect via IPv6,
    it will be very bad if there is not a base of IPv6
    web/email sites already in place.

As the network administrator for a Web hosting company, I've not seen
any coherent (and useful) information about how I can provide both IPv6
addressing and IPv4 addressing for the sites I host.  I'm in the process
of doing OS upgrades, and IPv6 is included...but currently I shut off
IPv6 because I don't have a IPv6 firewall solution yet.

        Well there are lots of firewalls that support IPv6.  If you can't
        find one you really have not searched.

That includes DNS, by the way.  I'm deploying new DNS servers, and would
be *very* interested in how to convince BIND 9.2.4 to answer IPv6 queries.

        listen-on-v6 { any; };

        If you want finer acls than that in listen-on-v6 then you want
        BIND 9.3 (currently 9.3.4) or BIND 9.4 (currently 9.4.1).

Another issue:  the Plesk Web control panel software from SW-Soft
doesn't seem to have any support for IPv6.  The CPanel Web Host Manager
at least lets me create AAAA records in zone files, so roughly 1/3 of my
customers *could* have IPv6 capability.

Lurkers:  tutorials welcome.