nanog mailing list archives

Re: FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:35:07 -0700

On Jun 13, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:

BTW, 1 million compromised computers is probably a low estimate.

Besides the 'call your ISP for technical help' blunder, there's actually more useful info, believe it or not, in the press release linked in the article:

<http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel07/botnet061307.htm>

The FBI aren't claiming only 1 million infected machines, they're saying that this particular sweep involves up to a million botted hosts.

It seems to me that the larger inference is that law enforcement are taking the botnet problem more seriously, which is what a lot of folks in the operational community have been advocating for a long time. While one aspect of the messaging is questionable, it seems to me that active national-level LEO involvement in this problem-space would be welcomed by many.

It's just a first step, and those are always the hardest to take.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

                          -- Laocoön