nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 Advertisements

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:09:47 +0100

When you have a large company, the company is also split
over several
administrative sites, in some cases you might have a single
administrative group covering several sites though, this
allows you to
provide them with a single /48 as they are one group they will know
how to properly divide that address space up.

Works great, until you realize that for traffic engineering
purposes, you really want to announce your Los Angeles site
at an exchange near there, and your London site to be
announced near there, and you end up wondering whether
deaggregating the /48, or getting a second/third /48 would be
wiser.. ;)

I believe that a separate /48 per site is better regardless of whether
or not the company has contracted with a single ISP for all sites, or
not. As far as I am concerned if there is a separate access circuit,
then it is a site and it deserves its own /48 assignment/allocation.

--Michael Dillon