nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo outage summary

From: Tony Tauber <ttauber () 1-4-5 net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:05:37 -0700

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 02:31:10PM +0800, Randy Bush wrote:

following existing BCPs with currently-deployed
techniques/functionality/features would have prevented the issue
described in the post.

knowing that level(3) is one of the most serious deployments of
irr-based route filters and other prudent practices, perhaps we should
wait for a post mortem from level(3) before jumping to conclusions?

randy

Level3's filter implmentation is indeed well-done, however, the fact
remains that the IRR (which I use and endorse) has no linkage to any
other source of information for purposes of validation.
It's fundamentally garbage in, garbage out.

Say some ISP has a provisioning tool which updates their router
configs and the IRR in one fell swoop.  If the provisioner makes a typo
the IRR will gladly accept the entry for, say, 12/8, and the upstream
will rebuild their filters with that entry automatically and you get the
same result.

There's no magic bullet in updating BGP if a fundamental, verifiable
data model is not accepted and agreed upon.

Tony