nanog mailing list archives

Re: peter lothberg's mother slashdotted

From: "micky coughes" <coughes () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:06:54 -0400

On 7/12/07, Robert Blayzor <rblayzor () inoc net> wrote:

I know the intention of the article was to demonstrate the technological
advantage of fiber optic networking vs. other technologies, but to mask
the article around something that seems to indicate that "40GB to the
home" is somehow the current benchmark is incredibly unrealistic.

-Robert

I can see that *everybody* is missing the point on Peter's exercise.
Clearly this is to show to the telcos of the world that you can upgrade to a
native IP infrastructure and absorb the existing transport into the router
with a minimal effort.  There was a post here from someone that was there
that explained how simple it was.   This is HUGE!  This has the potential to
completely disrupt telco transport dinosaur groups *and* reshape the
future.  Taking it to his mom's house is just a poke in the telco eye, he is
making fun of them.  This then begs the question why can they do it between
their facilities?  If one guy can do it to a *house* it must not be that
hard.  However, telcos with transport groups of 1000s can't pull this off,
this little project states volumes.