nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

From: "Travis H." <travis+ml-nanog () subspacefield org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:09:26 -0600

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 02:35:25PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
Oh I should be clear too. We use SI powers of 10, just like for
bandwidth, not powers of two like for storage. We quote in Megabytes
because caps are usually in gigabytes, so it's more clear for users.

IEC 60027-2 prefixes eliminate the ambiguity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Basically, to make base-2, replace letters 3 and 4 of the prefix with
"bi" for binary.
--
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>