nanog mailing list archives

Re: broken DNS proxying at public wireless hotspots

From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 20:30:12 +0530

On 2/3/07, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> What do nanogers usually do when caught in a situation like this?

Important question: if memory serves, and you are in the "Paris Charles de
Gaulle International Airport", wireless costs money.

Yes - at a hilton there.  Only - its a swisscom hotspot. And trying to
explain things to tier 1 tech support might not be the most useful
thing to do .. I'm going to be already jetlagged and catching up on
work before my next flight.

I had this problem in a more annoying location. On a connexxion wireless
on a flight to NYC.

Funny.  During its all too brief life, Connexion By Boeing never gave
me this sort of problem, I used to use it all the time on lufthansa
flights.

What I do if there are no alternatives is very simply... kick back and
listen to some music (unless you have some cellular 3G connectivity).

Yeah, and then go catch up on all the work that's piled up after 18++
hours flying from the US to India.  Fun.

Thread's gone way OT now - I'll close it here.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)