nanog mailing list archives

Re: broken DNS proxying at public wireless hotspots

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:11:30 -0500

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 13:29:13 -0600
Carl Karsten <carl () personnelware com> wrote:

Sure I could route dns queries out through a ssh tunnel but the
latency makes this kind of thing unusable at times. instead of an
ssh tunnel, how about simple port forwarding?

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1

And then whatever it takes to forward 127.0.0.1:53 to a dns that is
listing on some other port?

hmm, I think running a local caching dns was mentioned, but the parts
that may have been un-verified:

man named

        -p port
               Listen for queries on port port. If not specified,
the  default is port 53.

man named.conf
      everywhere there is an address, there is also the option to
specify port:  ( ipv4_address | * ) [ port ( integer | * ) ]

Right, plus 'forward only' in the config file.