nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:33:38 -0800

--- jeroen () unfix org wrote:
From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>

Scott Weeks wrote:
[..]
I have about 100K DSL customers at this time and most all are households.
65K wouldn't cover that.  At this point, I doubt that I'd require much
more than just asking and making sure the person is understanding what
they're asking for.  Mostly, that'd be the leased line customers.

Thus why didn't you request a larger prefix from ARIN then?
Clearly you can justify it.

Then again, if you are going to provide /56's to home users, nobody will
think you are a bad person and most people will be quite happy already.

In your case I would then reserve (probably topdown) /48's, for the
larger sites/businesses and start allocating bottom-up for /56's to
endusers.

I haven't requested anything yet.  That's why I came to you folks.  To learn and then get busy on it.  Thanks for your
top-down and bottom-up idea.  I will probably also intersperse /56s in between allocations as well; filling them in
later if it ever gets to that.

scott