nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:08:42 -0800

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:08:10 -0800
"Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com> wrote:

I am thinking of a /56 for everyone and a /48 on request.

Out of curiosity, what in form would a request for a /48 need to be? A
checkbox on the application form, or some sort of written
justification? Remember that with an initial RIR allocation of a /32,
you've got 65K /48s ... so they're pretty cheap to give away.

I have about 100K DSL customers at this time and most all are households.  65K wouldn't cover that.  At this point, I
doubt that I'd require much more than just asking and making sure the person is understanding what they're asking for.
Mostly, that'd be the leased line customers.

scott