nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:35:48 +1030

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:46:26 +0100
Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:

* Joe Greco:

Right now, we might say "wow, 256 subnets for a single end-user...
hogwash!" and in years to come, "wow, only 256 subnets... what were we
thinking!?"

Well, what's the likelihood of the "only 256 subnets" problem?

There's a tendency to move away from (simulated) shared media networks.
"One host per subnet" might become the norm.

Or possibly maybe Peter M. Gleitz's and Steven M. Bellovin's idea of

"Transient Addressing for Related Processes: Improved Firewalling by Using IPV6 and Multiple Addresses per Host"

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/tarp/tarp.html

A /64 per host is probably not necessary, however if an end-site has
a /48, that's 65K hosts so it wouldn't likely be much of a problem for
most sites ... certainly not my house currently or in the forseeable
future or my current employer, or most employers I've worked for in the
past.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."