nanog mailing list archives

RE: Does anyone multihome anymore?

From: "David Hubbard" <dhubbard () dino hostasaurus com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:31:23 -0400

From: Mike Tancsa

Hi,
In my case, I have 6453 and 174 for transit.  I want to get to 577
which is directly connected to 6453 and 174. 577 has a higher local
pref on paths via 174.  Short of shutting my 174 session (or some
deaggregation), I dont have a way to influence how 577 gets back to
me.  I can easily exit out 6453, but it does nothing for the return
packets.  I have enough capacity on 6453 to handle all my traffic,
but its a Draconian step to take and some traffic via 174 is fine and
would be worse if I fully shut the session. (ie. peers of 174
in Toronto)

That's because Cogent has chosen to not give us the BGP communities
needed to influence traffic destined to you from their other peers.
They're one of the providers I use and I just turn them off when they
are having issues.  With Level 3, for example, I can path prepend to
just certain remote AS's, etc., it's nice to have that control.

Dave