nanog mailing list archives

Re: question on algorithm for radius based accouting

From: Hugh Irvine <hugh () open com au>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:57:59 +1000

On 17 Aug 2007, at 23:35, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

Seriously, can I also add that RADIUS interim accounting is almost
essential in this scenario. Real world accounting and session
boundaries
mis-match badly making it almost mandatory to use interim accounting
records to get an approximation of what the figures look like from
a billing perspective. I'll also add "watch out for missing records"
- I've found RADIUS to be the lossiest network protocol per foot of
cabling that I've ever used.

I can't say I've seen this.

This sort of thing tends to happen in "wholesale" operations where the downstream has a congested link.

Having collected hundreds of millions of radius packets in my years
(hell, we were running PM-2e's in 1996), and have written several
accounting collectors, I can't say I agree.

If you follow the specifications properly, unless you have issues with
the transmitting device (read: BUG), RADIUS accounting has always been
good to me.

You can sometimes improve this situation by transporting the RADIUS requests over some form of TCP tunnel.

And, I've not seen the behavior you describe that requires interim.

DSL and/or cable systems usually have long-held connections that often cross billing boundaries - interim accounting is useful in this scenario.

Dialup connections are not usually long enough to warrant interim accounting.

regards

Hugh