nanog mailing list archives

Re: [policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

From: Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:06:31 +0100 (BST)

I picked on example, there have been plenty of examples in the past of
folks just barely able to come up with 7$/yr for domain registration and
using donated hosting for their non-profit thing.

It's a shame, they can probably find other benefactors. I doubt
there are many cases though so is the benefit to those few worth
the cost to the masses?

there is consumer protection today in the purchase system, do we want
to remove that in the future. Or do we want to find another method to
crack down on this problem without hurting consumers?

I've not noticed any registrars offering to refund

Still, plenty of smart people are controlling this
so either it's a terribly hard problem or they feel
it's better this way.

I'm sure they could come up with a compromise
such as registrars only get the refund if they
do less than x% per month, the genuine refunds
are likely to fit within a small x that makes
the tasting not worthwhile.

brandon